Our gondola operator has one of the most fantastic smiles I’ve seen in a while. He’s old, grey hairs come from underneath his traditional hat and time has carved his face. His movements though, are still powerful. Even stronger are his eyes. One can see many twinkles boiling inside them with a bright intensity. And then there’s this mysterious yet boyish grin; putting all his wrinkles in a wonderful non-symmetrical alignment; showing off white teeth; raising the right part his upper lip a little higher. He accentuates all by tilting his head slightly to the left. This smile welcomed my sister and I as we went offshore, to one of the famous houseboats in Srinagar.
Today my imaginary friend had the same eyes and smile. I needed an unreal companion, because I wanted talk with someone — someone who wouldn’t appeal to my sense of reality — but to my fantasy. Kashmir’s inhabitants and signs along the highway claim I’m in “The Paradise on Earth.” And what a paradise it is! My friend tells me how Srinagar looks in the different seasons, especially during summer, when flowers flourish and trees aren’t naked anymore. I’m being told about what used to be and what the future could bring.
Due to political unrest, apparently there are Muslim festivities until Friday, it isn’t possible — or in other words: there are too many safety concerns — to explore the old city. Today we had a boat tour on Dal Lake and tomorrow we’re going to watch some sheep.
Awake your buddy; dream a little too.
P.S.: He told me they call him Timmy.
 |
| Gondolas, or shikaras, as they are called here. |
 |
| Dal Lake |
 |
| Dal lake |
 |
| Dal Lake |
 |
| Sun and the ceiling of our room. |
No comments:
Post a Comment